Frequently Asked Questions
Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about Macintosh appearance themes. If you have a general question that isn't answered here, please email it to us through the 'contact' link at the bottom of the page.
- What software do i need in order to install themes on Mac OS X?
- Won't themes make my system unstable or even unbootable?
- How do I create my own themes for Mac OS X?
- Where can I learn more about theming and discuss the topic with other themers?
Answers to the FAQ
- 1. What software do i need in order to install themes on Mac OS X?
Currently, all themes distributed by InterfaceLIFT for use with Mac OS X require ShapeShifter by Unsanity L.L.C.. ShapeShifter costs US$20.00 and has a trial period which allows you to evaluate the software before purchase (subject to change by Unsanity L.L.C.).
For more information about ShapeShifter or to download the latest versions, please visit: http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/shapeshifter/
- 2. Won't themes make my system unstable or even unbootable?
This is certainly a possibility when mucking around with System files which Apple does not intend the end user to ever modify. However, according to Unsanity LLC, theming with ShapeShifter is safe. The following is an excerpt from the 'ShapeShifter ReadMe.rtfd' file that accompanies ShapeShifter 1.1.
"While you may have heard horror stories about themes kludging user's systems, ShapeShifter makes this a thing of the past. Installing themes in MacOS X used to require some dangerous methods (and more than a little bravery on the part of the end user). Not so with ShapeShifter - now changing the overall appearance of your system is every bit as safe as switching desktops or screensavers. ShapeShifter is safe because it never touches the actual files and resources residing deep within your system."
InterfaceLIFT does not make any guarantees that ShapeShifter or any of the themes (or other content) provided by this web site will not damage your system. Any modifications you make are done at your own risk.
- 3. How do I create my own themes for Mac OS X?
One way to assemple a theme for use with Unsanity L.L.C's ShapeShifter is to use ThemePark by Geekspiff.
For more information about the various theme formats and tips and tricks for using ThemePark, please read Harlan Lewis' excellent ThemePark Tutorial.
- 4. Where can I learn more about theming and discuss the topic with other themers?
A good place to start would be MacNN Forum's GUI Forum.